Man taken into custody; to be charged with domestic violence

Deputies detoured traffic around a domestic incident in Onaway Tuesday morning. Traffic detoured around the situation south of the junction of M-33 and M-68 in Onaway. (Photo by Peter Jakey)


An area in Onaway was in lock down earlier today as area law enforcement agencies converged on a potentially volatile situation involving alcohol and firearms.

A 29-year-old Onaway resident with no prior history was taken into custody at 9:02 a.m. at a home along M-33, just south of the trailer park, on a charge of domestic violence. The subject may be arraigned Wednesday morning.

Presque Isle County central dispatch received a 9-1-1 call at 1:23 a.m. from the friend of the victim. According to sheriff’s office spokesman Sgt. John Kasuba, the caller said that her friend had been assaulted.

“Officers responded to the city of Onaway and located the third party witness and the victim,” said Kasuba. “Alcohol had been involved and there were firearms in the house. At one point, the witness, who was not there when the assault took place, reported hearing two shots fired.”

The victim’s friend was on a cell phone at the time. Officers have not been able to confirm if any shots were fired.

Being that the M-33 home is so close to Onaway Area Community Schools, officers advised school officials of the situation, and what started as a two-hour delay, ended up being a day off for students.

“There’s a location just a short distance away from the suspect’s home where he was arrested at,” said Kasuba.

There were no children at the home at the time of the incident, and since the suspect has no prior record, it is believed to be “isolated.” There were long guns and handguns seized from the residence.

The Northern Michigan Mutual Aid Task Force assisted and included officers from as far away as Roscommon and Wexford counties.

“At no time were any students or citizens at risk,” he said.

Members of the Onaway DPW barricaded several side streets on the east side of M-33.  A few businesses in the immediate vicinity were closed. Morning dentist appointments were cancelled and Manzana’s Restaurant was closed before noon.

“I would not call it a standoff,” said Kasuba. “It was more for officer safety until we had the paperwork in hand, given us the authority to act. Once officers approached and used loud speakers, the suspect came out of the house without incident. He did not come out carrying any firearms or make any threats.”

The suspect remains lodged in the county jail in Rogers City.

Law enforcement officials were seen walking away from a situation in Onaway this morning. Local businesses and the Onaway Schools were asked to close as authorities handled the domestic situation. (Photo by Peter Jakey)